Texas A&M Univ.’s self-directed online greenhouse production course is available in English and Spanish
Texas A&M Univ. is offering a self-directed online training course for greenhouse employees nationwide. Introductory Employee Training Program for Greenhouse Crop Production has been prepared to provide much of the basic information required to be a successful and productive member of the horticulture industry workforce. The course is taught by Charlie Hall, horticulture professor and Ellison Chair in International Floriculture.
The course is divided into 5 modules:
1. The Introduction and Industry Overview modules will provide a general description of the greenhouse industry.
2. The 2 modules on Greenhouse Basics follow the production of a greenhouse crop from beginning to end.
3. The Insects and Diseases module introduces some of the most common pests on greenhouse crops.
4. The Finished Crop module covers basic shipping and handling procedures.
5. The module on Safety in the Greenhouse provides some important tips on how to stay safe on the job.
Each module includes several quiz questions to challenge the student’s knowledge along the way. A transcript of the training materials is available for download. The course costs $55 and is available in English and Spanish. An enrollment key is valid for 90 days. After this time, a participant can re-enroll in the course.