The Lobularia hybrida Stream series from Danziger features floriferous, ball-shaped plants. Heat-tolerant, they grow all through the summer. Stream varieties are good as fillers in mixed containers, hanging baskets or window boxes. All are available in a range of colors including Pink, Bicolor Lilac (cream and lilac/purple), Lavender, Purple, Silver (white), Summer (light yellow/cream) and White. All flower in four to six weeks, with the exception of Purple, which flowers in seven to eight weeks.
- Plant one plant per 4-inch pot. Plants will be ready for sale from rooted cuttings in four to five weeks. Use two plants per 6-inch pot, and plants will be ready for sale in seven to eight weeks. For 10-inch pots, use four plants, and expect salable plants in eight to 11 weeks.
- About five to 10 days before planting or 10 days after planting and establishing, pinch once in trays.
- Choose a well-drained, disease-free potting mix. Maintain pH at 6 to 6.5 and electrical conductivity (EC) at 0.7 to 0.9.
- Keep plants moist but not over-watered.
- Fertilize with a constant feed of a balanced fertilizer (150 to 250 ppm nitrogen). Choose one that contains average levels of micronutrients with a slightly increased level of iron.
- Lobularia require high light levels, minimum 6,000 foot candles, or full to partial sun.
- Provide daytime temperatures of 60 to 78° F and nighttime temperatures of 54 to 66° F. The Stream series also performs well at higher temperatures, up to 94° F.
- Maintain a vigilant scouting and monitoring program to prevent any insect and disease activity. Maintain moderate humidity levels and good air circulation. Drench with a broad-spectrum fungicide liner planting and transplant as a preventative.
Did you know?
An infusion of Alyssum (as it was once known) was reportedly used as an antidote to madness and rabies.